Here is a snapshot of 36 years in active contribution to human resources’ development in the Arab World. ASAI has responded , since inception to the prevailing needs of Arab States’ human resources development. ASAI has funded variety of programs and is proud for its achievements . It is through the continued support of HRH PrinceTurki Ben Abdel Aziz, the generosity of contributors, the perseverance of benefiting students, the supporting Trustee Members and the dedicated Staff , graduates as well as hundreds of individuals, businessmen, institutions and banks that the following were achieved:
ASAI has a presence in Lebanon and in Morocco.
- In Lebanon, a Board of Trustees is formed with HE Dr. Saleem el-Hoss, former Prime Minister and the membership of HE Abdul Rahim Murad, Former Minister of Education, Dr. Issam Noaman, former Minister of Communication, and Eng. Hamzi Moghrabi, as President. Arab Student Aid International in Lebanon is the new entity which has been official registered in th Official Registry of Lebanon in December, 2012. The Address is 1st Floor, Basho Building, Tellet El-Baida, Hilalya – Saida, Lebanon . Tel: (+) 961-7-834587. The objective is to provide the services of ASAI in Human Resource Development and Capacity Building to various groups and sectors in Lebanese Society.
- A Memo of Understanding was signed by the President of ASAI, Prof. Ishaq Al-Qutub and Dr. Youssef El-Hicho , President of Human Development Association based in Tatwan, Morroco in November, 2012. The main objective is to enhance human resource development by providing financial assistance to the needy and outstanding students, in addition to planning and supervising capacity building for NGOs, GOs and the private sector in addition to follow up with graduates from Morocco in loan repayment.
- A Memo of Understanding was signed by Prof. Ishaq Al-Qutub, President of ASAI and Dr. Salah Atieh, President of American College of Technology in order to enhance On-Line education in the Arab States. The College is based in St. Joseph city in Missouri and it offer Associate, BA and MBA academic programs . ASAI will represent ACOT in the Arab States.
- A new branch for ASAI was registered at the Ministry of Social Development in 2009for providing financial assistance to the needy and outstanding students at the BA, MA and Ph.D. levels.The Branch has introduced a new project in financing with the help of Al-Ahli Bank and Vittana for extending loans to students . HE Mr. Taher Al-Masri, former Prime Minister and Chairman of the House of Senate in Jordan is the Honorary Chairman of the Branch and Eng. Nagati Shakshir is the President. Mrs. Ameera Yaaqbeh is the Executive Director. The Branch is located in Amman at Jabal El- Hussein.
- In Palestine, ASAI enabled 6.750 students to graduate with PhD (42%), MA & MS (38%), and BA (20%), in the fields of medical, natural , and applied sciences, humanities and social sciences from well known universities . This was made possible through interest free loans, and grants pending on the qualifications of high grades (B+) and above and proof of real financial need. Loans are paid back in installments after 3 months of graduation during 5 years in installments. Repayment of loans will facilitate extending interest free loans to more qualified applicants – a form of revolving fund. The total number of aid cases was 21,000 financial assistance/student . The majority of graduates have returned to their homeland occupying leadership positions and are now effectively contributing to their country’national social and economic development schemes. The total cost $10.9 million US Dollars.
Training Course held in Halhul By Dr. Ishaq Al-Qutub and Mr Adnan Obeidat
- ASAI facilitated the improvement of educational standard of Palestinian universities by providing grants for 120 staff members who completed Ph.D. studies in technical and applied sciences and are very active in research and quality teaching . The total cost was $ 980,000.
- Provided grants to needy and outstanding 16,000 BA&MA students with 80% and above grade average in Palestinian Universities for the past 15 years in the average amount of $350 per student. Scholarship Grants to students in the West Bank and Gaza Universities, were allocated annually since 1986. The West Bank Committee oversees the program and distributed the funds each year at a special program. Thousands of scholarships were given in the past 20 years. Top Students in Vocational Schools received financial support as well. The total cost of $3,200,000.
- Extended grants to Palestinian students attending universities outside home country and who were financially cut off from their family resources during the last two Intifadas. Nearly 1,800 students benefited from this scheme and aid ranged between 500-1000 US Dollars per student for two consequtive times. The total cost was $ 250,000 .
- Facilitated the enhancement of 31 Palestinian physicians to complete sub-specialty studies in UK, Franc, Egypt and Jordan, in fields that are highly needed for governmental and charity hospitals and clinics, all of them returned and are active in provided the medical services. This program was implemented in mid eighties and the total cost of this program was $220,000.
- Supported the improvement of research and teaching of Palestinian universities in acquisition of high tech laboratory equipment in engineering, and pure sciences lending advanced services for development in environment, agriculture and industry in addition to serving the local communities. Total funds spent on this project was $ 600,000.
- Training Program: Since the year 2000 ASAI launched “training the trainers” program for senior staff and members of the Board of NGOs, GOs and the private sector to improve management skills,. This included groups in various sectors such as women , cooperative societies, and community leaderships in: Lebanon, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, West Bank and Gaza. This program benefited over 14,000 participants who acquired skills and know how in management, finances, crisis , time and financial management, administration, communication, monitoring and evaluation, in addition to projects’ proposal writing. Most recently in 2012 ASAI signed an agreement with the American University of Beirut to organize 4 training course for NGOs .The idea is to impact their role in local socio-economic development. The total cost was $ 750,000.
- Visiting Professors Project designed to encourage Professors on sabbatical leave to teach one semester or year in the West Bank. ASAI has supplemented their salaries making it possible for them to spend their leave at one of the Palestinian Universities. The number of Faculty members who were involved was 10 professors with a total cost of $80,000.
Supporting Infra-structure development enabled three universities in West Bank and Gaza to expand teaching and laboratory facilities and absorb more students and enhancing research. This program assisted Universities with new buildings to modernize and develop new technology for the 21st Century and was completed 1999. This two-story building has two large lecture halls, science and engineering classrooms and staff offices. It also includes technical laboratories for: chemistry, biology, computer engineering electronics, energy research, food production technology and marine biology. Two other Universities were assisted with new buildings. Total allocations were about 1,8 million US Dollars towards the erection of Science & Technology buildings and Conference auditorium. This was necessary to meet the growing number of students, staff and classrooms.
- Islamic University of Gaza has completed the construction of Science and Technology Building enabling 700 new students to have their classes and 20 faculty members to have their offices. It was completed in 2002.
- An-Najah National University has completed a huge auditorium building for conferences, lectures, and assembly meetings, they are nearing completion of an additional building to their campus. All three buildings were funded by ASAI. This will serve the university and the communities in Northern region.
An Najah University theater
- Al-Quds University Program (Abu dies), refurbished an old building, to house the faculty of engineering, an expanding field with modern facilities for laboratories and computers.
- At present ASAI made an agreement with the Arab Orphans Committee to act on its behalf to administer loan repayments from ASAI graduates residing in Jordan, and distributing 90% of proceeds as interest-free loans to enable orphan students to enroll at Jordanian universities providing meeting the qualifications. Annually a total of about $36,000 Dollars are received and spent on loans benefiting over 879 male and female students.
- In Kuwait, ASAI provided scholarship grants for 25 staff members to acquire their academic and practical training at the Maritime Arab Academy in Alexandria, Egypt. They were employed after graduation in various shipping corporations as captains.
A special Report is in the process of printing, commemorating the 35th Anniversary of the establishment of ASAI , It is 200 pages in quality papers which summarizes with the accomplishments including the names of graduates with MA and Ph.D. degrees. It is available upon request . The cost is $ 35 plus handling and postag development in the Arab World. The following achievements have been made through the dedicated and concerted efforts of HRH Prince Turki Ben Abdel Aziz , Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Board members, professional staff and Graduates as well as hundreds of Individuals, businessmen, institutions and Banks:
- Enabled nearly 5,000 students to graduate with Ph.D.( 42%), MA,MS (38%), and BA (20%), in the fields of medical, pure, and applied sciences, humanities and social sciences from well known universities . This was made possible through interest free loans, and grants pending qualifications of high grades (B+) and above and proof of real financial need. Loans are paid back in installments during 5 years to extend help to others as a revolving fund. The majority of graduates have returned to their homeland and effectively contributing to respective national social and economic development schemes.
- Contributed to the improvement of educational standard of Palestinian universities by facilitating grants for 65 staff members who completed Ph.D. degrees in technical and applied sciences who returned to their respective universities .
- Provided grants to needy and outstanding 4000 BA&MA students with 80% and above grand average in Palestinian Universities for the past ten years in the average amount of $ 350 .
- Extended grants to Palestinian students attending universities outside home country and who were financially cut of their family resources during the last two Intifadas, nearly 1,400 students benefited from this scheme and aid ranged between 500-1000 US Dollars.
- Facilitated 19 Palestinian physicians to complete sub-specialty in fields that are highly needed for hospitals and clincs),
Contributed in the infra-structure development of three Palestinian Universities ( Al-Quds, Al-Najah and Islamic University in Gaza) total allocations were about 1,8 million US Dollars in the erection of Science & Technology buildings and Conference auditorium.
- Supported the improvement of research and teaching of Palestinian universities in acquisition of high tech laboratory equipment in engineering, and pure sciences lending advanced services for development in environment, agriculture and industry,
- Financed training courses targeting Board members, senior staff of NGOs, GOs, and private sectors thus benefiting over 750 participants who acquired skills, know how in management, finances, administration, communication , monitoring and evaluation, in addition to projects’ proposal writing.
Training Course held by Mr Adnan Obeidat in Palestine
- Offering 4 Ph.D. grants in the amount of $ 4.500 per grant to each one of the Palestinian universities for Ph.D. degrees for candidates who meet the set qualifications and standards set by ASAI